Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spewns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Ppl, I would like to know if anyone here has used found driftwood in thier tanks and if so how did you go about cleaning it before putting it in the tank. I have done this before but i found a way cooler piece and it seemed to have fouled my tank pretty bad so I am starting over.I am aware this is not advisable but this piece is so cool and to buy it would be soooo spendy. Any tips would be appreciated :)

One of the bigger pieces of wood I've used is a tree stump that I dug up in my yard. I kept it in the garage for about 6 months to let it dry, then soaked it in a tub, changing water every so often until it sank. I think that took about 2 months. It's been in the tank for 5 years now.

Bob Ashcraft said:
One of the bigger pieces of wood I've used is a tree stump that I dug up in my yard. I kept it in the garage for about 6 months to let it dry, then soaked it in a tub, changing water every so often until it sank. I think that took about 2 months. It's been in the tank for 5 years now.

Cool bob. Could you post pics of this. Could you also post if this is a "biotype" tank and what is kept in the tank. I have read that wood has the potental to lower the PH of a tank.

Thanks Bob,

I have done the same thing with the roots of a dead tree in my last tank. It didnt work so well with this piece. This time I washed the wood with a pressure nozzle on the hose (the wood is like a hollow log) and to my amazement a bunch of silt came out! I think i'll have better luck this time. I like wood in my tanks because the plecos eat it and after a year the wood looks incredible. I love the way they leave the raised grain. Thanks again for responding Bob.

well i am pretty paranoid about my little fisheees health, but this is how i did it....i boiled it first quite a few times -this speeds the release of tannins, which includes tannic acid, which does lower pH, then i soaked it a couple times in a 1:10 bleach solution, then soaked it many times in plain water to remove bleach, then soaked it with lots of dechlorinator...lol, THEN i soaked it a couple times in a strong salt solution, (supposed to kill any freshwater uglies living on wood--i know, bleach and boiling, but i told you i was paranoid! )then of course , lots of clean water, then attached to base, and dropped in water! so far no problems for the fisheees! hope yours works as well!

Wow Craz, That is a process! And I would try the boiling if i had a pot big enough for the wood but hey I could pour some over it. i forgot to metion that i did soak it in the bathtub with a 1:10 bleach solution, re-soaked in clean water and used a brush on it to scrub off loose bits. I didnt soak it in dechlorinator assuming the stuff I put in the tank would have done that. Hmmm maybe I should LoL. Thanks Craz.

fishfreek said:
Cool bob. Could you post pics of this. Could you also post if this is a "biotype" tank and what is kept in the tank. I have read that wood has the potental to lower the PH of a tank.

I'm trying to find a picture of when the tank was newly setup. The plants have grown to a point where the stump is barely visible now.

This tank has about 12-15 assorted Angels and 1 very large Pleco.

If the wood ever did lower the pH, I never noticed, but I inject co2, so that in itself lowers the pH. I keep the pH at 6.6-6.8.

Back
Top Bottom