New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelaone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi my son bought this fish to go with in his cold water tank, but he looks a bit lethargic and just sits at the bottom of the tank any ideas what type he is, guessed at perch?

Attachments

• 6656915D-A2C8-413D-8A84-DD10B5D1B4F8.jpg
    6656915D-A2C8-413D-8A84-DD10B5D1B4F8.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 51
The fish seems to be a Yellow Perch. I just have a question, at what temperature does your son keep this fish? Even though this fish species originate from cold rivers, the fact that it's lethargic means that it doesn't take cold water well. Please buy a heater and adjust the temperature to 72 degrees fahrenheit in order to see if shows better behaviour.

I'm new at the hobby but I'm just trying to help!

Check some search images of juvenile Geophagus.
juvenile Red / Orange head Tajapos Eartheater Geophagus.

The Perch stripes look more like a wide line at top forming a point. The Geophagus has irregular edges, stripes similar width top to bottom. I do not know really, not too familiar with Cichlids if it even is one. It just struck me as a close looking fish.

What are your tank /water parameters?

Is this a brand new tank?

Check out the article link in my signature for a large bunch of info really helpful for new tank keepers. there are additional article links for keeping fish while cycling a tank.

The good start is indeed to know what kind of parameters are needed for the specific fish. So hopefully someone can positively identify him.

In the mean time where did he buy the fish from? You don't need to tell me, just the question of going back to get more, and maybe important information for his well being.

The person may be able to assist in explaining the necessary water parameters and name for the fish.

Keeping the water at least safe for the fish, if it is a new tank and filter, then you will need to pay attention to doing water changes to avoid build up of ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte.

The articles will explain how to keep fish in a tank which aren't with cycled filter yet, and how to get a cycled tank. They beneficial bacteria / BB are needed to break down ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom