75 Gallon stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeNHouston

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am relatively new to the Cichlid world outside of Oscars. I am looking to build a 75 gallon tank of really colorful fish. I have been looking into Mbunas and peacocks but trying to figure out which ones to go with has been a horrible PITA because so many differing opinions of which fish go with which fish and which fish are best... So be gentle and give me some stocking advice from yalls experience.

Here's a video that might help you decide.
It has information, species suggestions, proper care tips and species info.
If you have the standard 4' long 75 gallon ( which I believe you do based on the oscar tank pic), I would suggest Mbunas over Peacocks. Peacocks would be better in larger tanks.

Yeah I've watch about 20 youtube videos that have pushed me to the Mbunas and after a few more I have pretty much come up with a stocking list for the tank as well looks like this

7 yellow labs
7 blue Johini
7 red zebra
And a bottom cleaning crew of
BN pleco x 2
And maybe 2 clown loaches

Yeah I've watch about 20 youtube videos that have pushed me to the Mbunas and after a few more I have pretty much come up with a stocking list for the tank as well looks like this

7 yellow labs
7 blue Johini
7 red zebra
And a bottom cleaning crew of
BN pleco x 2
And maybe 2 clown loaches
I'd skip the clown loaches. They prefer water parameters that are the opposite of the cichlids. They are also very prone to Ick which can take over the whole tank.

Sure as hell do not want that in my tank.. In 20 years only had one outbreak of that and it took weeks to kill

Sure as hell do not want that in my tank.. In 20 years only had one outbreak of that and it took weeks to kill
Unlike the old days, ( I was there for them ;) ) it's becoming more important to quarantine new arrivals as there have been new viruses and parasites that have developed in fish farms and have become medicine resistant. Many fish have internal issues that don't show up until the fish is stressed and shipping can be stressful on the fish. Then there are species that are just prone to diseases ( like the clown loach. ) Unless you are getting fish from people you know and know their fish are clean, be very careful. (y)

I pretty much just get fish from a local fish that does really good at making sure their fish are healthy. They also are really good about trying to get the fish I want it may take alittle longer but I almost always get the fish I want...

I pretty much just get fish from a local fish that does really good at making sure their fish are healthy. They also are really good about trying to get the fish I want it may take alittle longer but I almost always get the fish I want...
It's been a bit since I was in Houston ( I had family who lived there) , can I ask the name of where you are shopping?

Houston Aquarium wherehouse
Okay, I missed that one. :( Coming from AZ, I take the NE side of the circle (8) off of 290 to get to I-10 towards FL. or my cousin. I did look at some stores that had marine fish. I believe I was at Houston Aquatics, The Fish Bowl, FJW aquarium and All About Fish. Nice stores if I recall correctly ( I've been to a lot of stores around the country) but mainly marine fish. I may need to take a different route next time I'm in Texas. (y)

It's actually in southwest Houston (Stafford) out side the beltway (8) it's a ni e store hidden amongst wherehouses lol
Yeah, I looked it up on G Maps and saw there are a number of stores on that side of 8. I just never had a reason to go that way. My family is near Kemah now but lived in Houston proper before so coming from Florida, the Southwest side of all the circles ( 8, I-610, 99 ) was not really " on the way" to where we were going. Who knows when I will be back in Texas but when I am, I'm guessing I'll have to go a little further 'round the circles. ;)

Ok I think I have my final stocking list Tell me what yall think and if I am making any mistakes

6 x Yellow Labs ( I know ill have to sort out males as they show themselves)
5 x Yellow Tail Acei
5 x Rusty
5 x Cobalt Zebras

Back
Top Bottom