Berried Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alutz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had just one Amano shrimp for about 4 or 5 years now usually housed with a Betta. I recently decided to switch to an invert tank with a mix of neocardina shrimp. I have been slowly introducing yellow, orange, cherry, blue and most recently jade green neocardina shrimp over the past couple of months. I have just noticed today that my Amano is berried! Is this possible? The only thing I can think of if I have a stowaway in the mix of jade greens I got ( that is how I got my Amano) but they all look pretty olive color. Just want to know if anyone had any thoughts. Thank you!

:(

That's what I always thought. That's why it blew my mind to see her berried after having her for about 5 years. I guess I need to take this up with my neocardina dealer, lol. Sorry girl, wish I was set up to save those babies:(

Is your Amano 2x the size of a Cherry/ Neocaridina? On occasion I have seen Grass shrimp called Amano shrimp.

Does your Amano Shrimp carrying the eggs have dash marks? Do a search about male and female Amano and the physical differences. If it isn't larger than 1.25" and doesn't have the distinctive marking it could be a grass shrimp. And a male Amano has dots along his body, so you can be on the lookout for a male. But I also have read the can develop eggs but if they aren't fertilized the of course don't develop.

Can you see the eggs with shrimp bodies inside/ eyes?

Amano shrimp also are believed to have a larval stage and use brackish water. One guy on the internet breeds them. But I'm not familiar with his techniques.

A pic

This is the best picture I could get of her. She is super reclusive. I'm hoping someone may be able to identify if she isn't an Amano. I will look up grass shrimp.

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_055913077~2.jpg
    IMG_20230912_055913077~2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom