Convict cichlid VS Turtle!? (other fish concerned)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put our 1 inch long red-eared slider in our 55 gallon tank near the center. He swam directly for the left of the tank and into the convict cichlid's territory. The convict cichlid went to investigate perhaps thinking "What new food swam my way."

The turtle of course had no intention of becoming any fish's meal. He seemed to ignore the convict and do his own thing up until just before the convict decided to make contact. The turtle always seemed to know when the convict was going to attack. Just before the cichlid would make contact he would pull in his head half way and press it against the glass. He then pulled in his back feet and tilted slightly so that the convict would make contact with his shell.

I am trying to see if I can move my turtle from my 10 gallon tank to my 55 gallon tank. I am encouraged by the turtles intelligence but am also aware that the convict cichlid is not dumb. I may let the turtle visit the 55 gallon tank again but never without my supervision and not over night until I am sure that convict won't be able to do him any harm.

I noticed that the convict kept his distance from the turtle while it was swimming as if trying to avoid getting scratched by its claws (are they called that on a turtle?)

When the turtle would swim to the surface and stick its head out of the water a semi circle of displeased fish would form around him. He ignored them and none of them dared get closer than about an inch from him. I expected this from the tiger barb who was obviously trying to figure out how to evict the intruder. The mollies raising their sailfins and blocking his forward movement didn't surprise me much either. However, I didn't expect the red platy (male), red wag sword tail (male), nor the diamond tetra to be upset by the turtles presence. My rosy barb also participated in the semi circle but I couldn't tell if she was concerned or just curious.

The turtle for his part did nothing aggressive no matter how the fish reacted to his presence.

Just thought some of you would like to hear how a small turtle can affect various fish.

at my lfs they keep full size red eared sliders in a 600 gallon indoor pond with 12" oscars, 6" convicts and 8" jd's. very interesting set-up. wouldn't mind one in my house.

Just out of curiousity, how large are those sliders? I am asking because I have a slider myself and am wondering how much bigger it will get... :)

I read in a book that they can grow to 1 foot long. The book further recommended that at that point the turtle would need to be in a 100 gallon tank. The book also said that they live for about 20 years. I suspect (and hope) they don't grow too quickly.

i have a friend who has a 10 year old red yeared slider that is about a foot long. he houses it in a 40 gallon indoor pont.

I'd always thought about a turtle, but are they difficult to keep and would a slider for example go OK with a community of fish, IE Guppies, Mollies, Gourami, Loaches etc

You have convicts, tiger barbs, mollies, platies, swordtails, and diamond tetras in same tank? That's one of the most unusual combinations I've ever heard of since the water parameters of the fish seem to clash. But, hey, if everyone is healthy and all, more power to you.

Back
Top Bottom