Culling Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJenna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read articles about culling shrimp but looking for specific culling recommendations for my tank. Currently I have ~14 Jade neocardinias and I'm looking to have the dark color preserved. At what age do I cull shrimp (not that I quite know how old any of my shrimp are, lol), meaning at juvenile or adult? I know that I should be culling any that obvious deformities but what are some of those deformities beyond bent spines? Do I cull only males or should females go as well? Should I be culling the more faded of the colors? Thanks for your input.

Oh right I understand now I thought u was going to euthansie them.but ur just moving them.out [emoji106]

Also noting that often males have less color than females and you might cull a good one which just hasn't grown up yet. Sometimes a more pale one will help throw nice babies with the females. I would give it a generation to watch which ones pop up. I used to have a PRL which was average A grade looking and would produce very beautiful high grade babies. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Also as mentioned
in the DM, others might love the medium and light green colors and pay a fair price for them.

That can really help you to fund the goodies we get for shrimp. More food options botanicals like leaf varieties and cones / pods.

One additional thought related in breeding to culling is adding in a different group of shrimp/ breeding genes. That could go very well but also may not go as expected.

Each shrimp color group which is line bred from a color sport can come from different shrimp heritage and end with, in this case green color. Occasionally you might see a off color like a yellow or a brown or black. This shrimp which is a different color still has that group of genetics. But obviously a color you aren't wanting.

I would cull that type shrimp. But that type shrimp might still have babies of the color you are wanting. Which might be fine to add back into your breeding group. If it happens regularly that you get a off color shrimp try and observe which mama is throwing the odd color.

It can be caused by a male shrimp and the combination with the female as well. In that case you might try moving the female out and watch for future batches and see if it continues. Then it's likely a male and hard to discover which one.

It is fun to breed shrimp.

I would be open for some shrimp if your going to cull (kill) them [emoji106]

I use the term cull to mean that I am going to put the less desirable shrimp in another tank. Just trying to breed dark colored shrimp. Thanks for your concern, I was not aware that some people use it to mean slaughter.

One additional thought related in breeding to culling is adding in a different group of shrimp/ breeding genes. That could go very well but also may not go as expected./QUOTE]

Are you saying a different color? Once this group is having babies consistenly, I had planned to buy an additional group of Jades to reduce deformities from inbreeding.

One additional thought related in breeding to culling is adding in a different group of shrimp/ breeding genes. That could go very well but also may not go as expected./QUOTE]

Are you saying a different color? Once this group is having babies consistently, I had planned to buy an additional group of Jades to reduce deformities from inbreeding.

Yes because the colors are derived from one line of breeding adding shrimp from a different line MAY, maybe not be an issue, but not absolutely cause other / different line to change. There are many breeders which do not add shrimp for many generations. As in years.

Line breeding is in a group of shrimp breeding in a long line of breeding. Culling for the color especially, but also for the shape and desired traits.

A different line added in can add a whole different dynamic, genes. Once you have a solid breeding group which continues producing the shrimp babies you want you could try taking a best male and or couple females and try with a new male and or females to see how the babies produced come out.

If getting any new shrimp, it is best to QT them for a couple months or so to make sure there isn't any illness from the new ones.

To be honest, most people don't give this much thought. But in the breeding there are lots of things to learn about. If it is simply for a fun project of your hobby it probably doesn't really matter that much.

But being able to produce amazing shrimp to sell at a high amount because they are actually valuable and worthy is even more exciting.

Look up award winning shrimp.

This isn't an award winner that I know of but here is a really fine looking shrimp. Good looking body color
https://buceplant.com/products/green-jade-shrimp

Lower grade green Jade
https://www.reddit.com/r/shrimptank/comments/bdv408/they_called_her_a_low_grade_green_jade_i_think/

Again like you mentioned in the reference of culling in breeding and very serious breeders usually do not even preserve the cull shrimp. Because they aren't representative of the top of the breed.

Usually hobby breeders mostly just love shrimp and want to keep their line good/ make it better.

Like you said you prefer the darker green. So that would be what you would like best, and breeding for. Someone else might like medium green. Someone else doesn't care as long as they are shrimp of any color.

The shrimp which caused me to get interested in Dwarf Shrimp back in 2011 were OEBT / Orange Eye Blue Tigers. As the years went by more and more people preferred the deep near black blue shrimp. I'm interested in the Royal Blue ones. My favorite color, which is harder and harder to find!

Last edited:
Usually hobby breeders mostly just love shrimp and want to keep their line good/ make it better.

There is so much helpful information in your response Autumnsky, I appreciate you taking the time. I want to start getting involved in my local club's BAP, so I'm starting pretty slow and easy. Breeding Magenta Mystery Snails and now Jade Shrimp. For fish, I have the uber-easy Endlers...there will be endlers in my tanks for eternity, haha. Lucky for me there is a 125 gal tank in the house that will take in the overpopulation as I try to breed more specifically within the breed.

I really like the breeding aspect of aquarium keeping, not necessarily for profit. I take my samples to the local club meeting which has a mini-auction at every meeting and in turn donate the monies to the club.

I like to augment my efforts by reading and you've given me some new directions to go in, thanks!

There is so much helpful information in your response Autumnsky, I appreciate you taking the time. I want to start getting involved in my local club's BAP, so I'm starting pretty slow and easy. Breeding Magenta Mystery Snails and now Jade Shrimp. For fish, I have the uber-easy Endlers...there will be endlers in my tanks for eternity, haha. Lucky for me there is a 125 gal tank in the house that will take in the overpopulation as I try to breed more specifically within the breed.

I really like the breeding aspect of aquarium keeping, not necessarily for profit. I take my samples to the local club meeting which has a mini-auction at every meeting and in turn donate the monies to the club.

I like to augment my efforts by reading and you've given me some new directions to go in, thanks!

It makes me happy you are involved with an Aquarium Club and helping out others learning and keeping shrimp. I work with the Colorado Aquarium Society / CAS and we also have mini auctions monthly and 2 bigger auctions per year. There are a couple BAP champions, a Grand Master and Master. None primarily for shrimp though. I am having a break from breeding but hope to get back to one group in the fall. Maybe 2. :brows:

If you love scientific details for breeding, I have read through some work, but it really is too complicated for me, though even in reading some reports and documents, I can find something which can be beneficial. Please share any
helpful information on another thread for breeding them if you feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom