Do I need more light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 40g breeder tank has been running for around 2 months now, and I'm still struggling with getting the plants to thrive like they were in my 75g tank... They keep dropping leaves and having issues with various types of algae. I'm using the same ferts as I do in my 75g, but this is my first time using LEDs (the 75g has a T5HO fixture). Here's the tank stats:

40g breeder:
Dual Hydro V sponge filters
36" Fluval Full Spectrum LED light
21" Marineland Hidden LED strip
78F temp
Split photo period - 10am-2pm and 4pm-8pm
Dosing with excel daily
Flourish complete 1x weekly
50% water changes weekly

Plants-
- Hygro Sunset (only one doing well atm)
- Hygro difformis
- Hygro compact
- Hygro pinnatifida
- Limnophila Aromatica
- Red Tiger Lotus
- Brazilian Pennywort
- Water lettuce
- Dwarf Pennywort
- Staurogyne repens
- Fissidens Fontanus

Do I need more light so they can outcompete the algae? Am I not dosing ferts correctly (I do the same type of schedule on my 75g where things were flourishing before)? Any other ideas? I'm really scratching my head at this one.

That's not alot of light lu.. sorry, those fluval leds are pretty weak.. any money in the lighting budget?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's not alot of light lu.. sorry, those fluval leds are pretty weak.. any money in the lighting budget?

Yeah, that's what I was suspecting... My LFS claimed it was enough to handle all but the really light hungry plants so I was willing to give it a go to see. I'd like to avoid another T5HO fixture though, as the bulbs are pretty spendy when you're replacing them every 6 months. Would adding a second Fluval LED fixture be enough, or is there another LED fixture that would be a good supplement? This LED fixture is basically brand new, so I'd rather not ditch it...

I find it rather annoying that fluval does this.. they bang out killer filters but offer such a substandard light for alot of money..you could absolutely slide that towards the back and drop a current sat plus or finnex planted plus (more par) up front for the carpet. I run 2 current sat on my 30 long, same hieght as yours and theyre kicking but.. I'll actually be selling one shortly..

Oh wow, both of those options are even the same price as what I paid for the Fluval... That's a bit frustrating, to say the least. I'm pretty sure it's been too long to be able to return the Fluval (got it from Petco since it was $20 cheaper there than at my LFS)... If I could I'd do that and just use that money for the Finnex :banghead:

Would one Finnex or be enough, or do you think I would need two like you're using with the Current?

Better spread with 2 on that tank.. keep that and throw a finnex in front.. be awesome! !

Alright, I'll give that a go. I'm pretty sure I don't have the box or receipt still for the Fluval anyways. Thanks!

Also, keep in mind that if you're having algae issues now with low-light, adding more light will only make it worse unless you adjust carbon & ferts accordingly. Large doses of excel in a 40 gal = $$$$$. Adding CO2 would be a good option, but if you're sticking with liquid carbon, metricide is far cheaper than Excel and is twice as concentrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 on the Metricide. Excel in the 500 mL bottle goes for $13.39 on Amazon. You would need $100 worth of it to match a gallon of Metricide 14. More like $200 worth since it is twice as concentrated.
We've saved you money...now go get that fixture.

Also, keep in mind that if you're having algae issues now with low-light, adding more light will only make it worse unless you adjust carbon & ferts accordingly. Large doses of excel in a 40 gal = $$$$$. Adding CO2 would be a good option, but if you're sticking with liquid carbon, metricide is far cheaper than Excel and is twice as concentrated.

If a plant isn't getting enough light and dropping leaves, algae will automatically capitalize in these leaves.. I've watched plants g eery destroyed by algae in my earlier tanks with low light.. especially if they come from a high tech tank.

If a plant isn't getting enough light and dropping leaves, algae will automatically capitalize in these leaves.. I've watched plants g eery destroyed by algae in my earlier tanks with low light.. especially if they come from a high tech tank.

That was exactly my thoughts. I run my 75g with T5HO lighting and only dosing Excel for carbon, so I figured the algae was more likely due to the plants suffering and being unable to take advantage of the ferts I was dosing, not excess light ;)

I've never heard of Metricide before, I'll take a look! I'm using Excel on both my 40g and my 75g at the moment. I just get the giant 2L jugs off Amazon and it's not too bad, but all cost savings are welcome :D

Edit: Ummm, is this the same thing you guys mean? It's listed as a disinfectant, not an aquarium product :blink: http://smile.amazon.com/MetriCide®-...0048&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Metricide+aquarium

Just want to make sure I'm looking at the same thing... And if I am, how the heck do you dose it?

Look for Metricide 14, not 28!!! There is a difference. Yes, both are disinfectants but the 28 has something in it (sorry for lack of details) that is not so kind to living things. Also, (you'll probably told this more than once) Metricide 14 is shipped with a small bottle of activator...throw that away. Bad stuff.

Go with the second one. Listed as "Metrex Metricide Gallon 14 Day - Model 182337". I compared the pic on the link with the one I keep in the closet (cool dark place) and it is identical.
Yes, it does not look like it is meant for aquariums but it is what I've been using on my tank.

Yep, that's the stuff- the 14-day. Just be careful with it. It's some potent stuff. Take care when handling as to not get it on your skin, or in your eyes, and don't breathe the vapors. Same with Excel, but this is more concentrated. You might want to read the MSDS sheet so you know what you're dealing with. It's a good idea to wear ear eye protection, especially if you'll be pouring it into containers for dilution (many people dilute it to approx. excel strength).

Awesome, thank you! Sounds like scary stuff... I'll make sure to research it a bit more before trying it :)

My amanos could care less... i hit a full dose every morning. If you don't mind spending the dough on excel?? Solid product. .

My amanos could care less... i hit a full dose every morning. If you don't mind spending the dough on excel?? Solid product.

That's reassuring. I'll give it a go in one of my tanks and see how everyone fares compared to the tank still using up the rest of my Excel supply then :)

Back
Top Bottom