Fluval FX2 connections leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrumley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, new 150 gallon owner here. Just setting up with my son and he connected the two canister filters under the tank and filled it up. They are now leaking from 2 of the hoses! He's tighted the metal clamps as far as they will go but water is dribbling out and filling the bottom of our wooden tank stand. I'm afraid the floor under will get wet and soak down to the lower level of our home. What can we try? Is there a product we can wrap around an actively leaking pipe? a foam we can spray? anything short of draining the tank and starting all over again?

Hi, new 150 gallon owner here. Just setting up with my son and he connected the two canister filters under the tank and filled it up. They are now leaking from 2 of the hoses! He's tighted the metal clamps as far as they will go but water is dribbling out and filling the bottom of our wooden tank stand. I'm afraid the floor under will get wet and soak down to the lower level of our home. What can we try? Is there a product we can wrap around an actively leaking pipe? a foam we can spray? anything short of draining the tank and starting all over again?
Make sure the clamps are far enough down towards the end of the tubing. Also, make sure you didn't crack the fitting the tubing is on by over tightening the clamp. I haven't used this filter before but some older models of canister filters used O rings for the tubing to fit over then clamp over the O ring. Does this model have that option? Also, are you sure you installed the aquastop valves completely onto the canister? Did you hear a click that ensures the valve is tight to the canister? Is there any " wiggle" to them which could mean the connection inside the valve is not properly sitting onto the canister?

Last edited:
"my son and he connected the two canister filters under the tank and filled it up. They are now leaking from 2 of the hoses!"

Look close is the water leaking below the hose clamp or above it where the black hose meets the grey rubber?
So you have two filters are the two hoses on the same filter and are they both fx2s? Are they both new? I don't think you have o-rings on this one.

Until you fix this see if you have room to sit the filter in a plastic tray or tote. Depending on where the leak is you may need a mirror to see the back side. If it were me I would take it out hook it up outside put the intake and output in a bucket of treated water where you can see what is going on. If it is a really small leak dry it off and put baby powder all around the area then as soon as you turn it on look for a dark spot on the powder. What have you checked so far?

Back
Top Bottom