Have I got a poorly ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gem82x

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a red claw crab that is about 18 months - 2 yrs in an aquarium tank with various fish. She likes to sit on top of the filter sometimes which is fine, no escaping! However she has now been sat on there for the past 4 days! She is alive I’ve seen her move every now and again, when she first went up she kept opening her apron and it was like for almost of the day - that’s when I realised she was a she ? anyone have any idea what might be up with her?

Some crabs are filter feeders, filtering food particles from flowing water. It's natural behavior. Does she have many places to climb and explore? Is her food high quality nutrient-rich? Both of these will encourage her to explore her territory more.

I have a red claw crab that is about 18 months - 2 yrs in an aquarium tank with various fish. She likes to sit on top of the filter sometimes which is fine, no escaping! However she has now been sat on there for the past 4 days! She is alive I’ve seen her move every now and again, when she first went up she kept opening her apron and it was like for almost of the day - that’s when I realised she was a she ? anyone have any idea what might be up with her?

A search indicates they have a kind of short life span 2 + years. Though I have had animals live longer than the usual lifespan! Just make sure there is good calcium rich foods in the diet and vary it. A basic food would be Hikari Crab Cuisine and you might be able to feed defrosted Mysis shrimp.

Do you have a water test kit?
Have you tested the water for ammonia?
Are you keeping her in brackish water?
What size is the tank and
are there other tank mates?

Some crabs are filter feeders, filtering food particles from flowing water. It's natural behavior. Does she have many places to climb and explore? Is her food high quality nutrient-rich? Both of these will encourage her to explore her territory more.
I’ve added a pic of the tank, had her in there a while and had another red claw crab for years and never noticed this sort of behaviour before. She has since gone back in the water and I got a video earlier of her with her apron open again, I tried to add it but wouldn’t load, it’s like she was trying to clean inside? I’m not sure, I could see inside and looked like lots of hairs but they weren’t hairs ??*♀️??*♀️

Attachments

• B3044EAD-1738-4FF1-A1DA-D4877C5CEAEC.jpg
    B3044EAD-1738-4FF1-A1DA-D4877C5CEAEC.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 7
The site wont allow you to load video. Upload the video to a video hosting site like youtube and post a link.

Back
Top Bottom