Help With Nerite Snails, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADsnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
My two tiger nerites are going through the obvious signs of mating. This is not piggyback rides, they were definitely attached *that way* for hours :brows:

I've done my research and know that any eggs won't hatch in freshwater. And that nerites are not asexual, they need a male and a female to produce eggs. And that a female may continue laying eggs as little dots around the aquarium.

All this leads me to assume that I have a male and a female and I can expect the egg laying cycle to begin soon.

But here's the question I cannot find answered anywhere: What if they're not different sexes? Do two nerite males -or two females - ever go through the motions of mating? So that there may possibly not be any eggs?

Im not sure about whether 2 males or 2 females will still go through the motions, but i suspect they wont. However female nerites will still lay eggs even without a male, they just wont be fertilised. People with single nerites report it periodically laying eggs regardless, so unless you have 2 males expect eggs.

Back
Top Bottom