Need suggestions for a sump(rubbermaid, etc)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadster3043

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings.

I would like your suggestions for a sump, preferably Rubbermaid(or suggest) with the following measurements(more or less) 25 inches long by 9 inches wide by 18 inches tall.

I'm not too thrilled on using plexiglass since it will bow or perhaps leak.

What can I use to make divisions in the sump and what kind of glue(silicone?) to use. Perhaps for the divisions using smaller containers, etc.

I want the sump to be if not wide or long enough, to be at least tall enough to hang a UV sterilizer, a skimmer, etc.

Thank you.

this sounds exactly like the project i'm doing. it is a rubbermaid container 27X16X12. with a smaller container inside that will act as my partitions for the refugium.

A glass aquarium makes a good sump. Acrylic (plexiglass) is very strong and will not leak if joined properly. Should you decide to try it, don't silicone it together...get some Weld On #16 acrylic glue. The only trouble with using the Rubbermaid container will be the partitions. I'm not sure how well silicone will stick to it. You might use some acrylic for the partitions and try the silicone...or maybe epoxy. If you used a glass tank...say a 20 long...you could have it drilled for the pump bulkhead and use an external pump. If you really need the 18" depth, you might look into a 20 high or a 29 gal tank. Kribbz idea of using a smaller Rubbermaid container inside the larger one as a partition sounds like it would work well also.
I think I'd ask around and do some research before I spent the money on a UV sterilizer. I believe you'll find it's something you won't really need. IMO, it would be better to save that money and put it towards a top of the line skimmer.
Logan J

logan,

how is your diy sump/refuge working out? have not heard you talk of it much recently.

Thank you guys.

I will keep doing research.

I think it would have to be hand made or small rubbermaid since the width of the tank's stand is about 8 1/2 inches. a 29gal that I have is 12 1/2 inches wide and a 10gal is about 10 inches, so if there is nothing already made that fits in there, will definitely has to be DIY.

Thank you.

Aaron,
It's working out well. I may cut it down and go with a sump underneath and just use the HOB for a fuge. My PC's are heating the tank up some and I'm thinking I might be able to cool it some in the sump. Also, I need a more accessible place for the skimmer. The truth, I guess, is that I can't leave anything alone :twisted: .
Logan J

guilty as charged. I can't leave well enough alone also. I am always looking to see what I can improve or demolish. I currently have a Sealife Systems W/D 100 on my 55 gal. and I am thinking about changing...I find myself in LFS looking at tanks and thinking of how I can convert them into sumps/refs, and WalMart looking at Rubbermaid doing the same thing. KooKoo? :roll: I don't know.. I just hope my fish are forgiving to whatever I do...It is their domain I am messing with... :twisted:

I just build a refugium for my 75 gallon. I used a 20 long which was perfect for under the tank, except that my skimmer is too tall for it which is a bummer (but you can get a different size tank). I just bought the tank and went to lowes and bought some glass. They cut the glass partitions for me at home depot to the correct width and height that I wanted, then I siliconed it in. Took less than 2 hours (then many more letting the silicone solidify). With the glass tanks, you will easily be able to get covers/lighting for it, unlike rubbermaid containers. You will also be able to see what is going on inside the refugium easier. It is probably much more sturdy than rubbermaid. It looks nicer if you have someone peak under your tank, as well.

kj

Greetings.

You just used silicone to hold the glass together? or did you added something else to give it more security?

TIA

I just bought some silicone at a aquarium store that is made by 'all glass', the same one they use to make their tanks. Onlyused about 1/2 the tube ($9 per tube). You can also use another type that you can get at home depot etc. I will try to get the name of it (but be carefult with this home depot stuff, there are type I and type II, you can only use one type, the other is dangerous for the fish...do a search for name on this forum). THe only challenge is having it held in place for a few hours while it drys. It is really a 2 person job (one to hold, one to silicone). I used tape across the top of the glass to keep it upright. Worked well. the silicone was plenty strong enough. Just when you fill the refugium, dont fill one compartment at a time or it will put pressure on the glass, fill them up equally. Good luck.

Kevin

Silicone will hold glass just fine...it's all that holds your aquarium together. You can use the silicone from HD...make sure you get the 100% pure clear silicone by GE. Don't use the stuff for windows and doors or the stuff that's labeled for bathrooms....only the plain clear silicone. Silicone doesn't work quite as well on acrylic though. I have heard of people using it to join acrylic, but I have seen it fail too many times to trust it. It seems to stick to glass very well though. Let it cure for at least 24 hours before you put any water on it. If you have any glass cut for dividers, I would suggest having the edges ground as this will lessen the danger of getting cut on it.
Logan J

Thank you everyone.

I think I'm getting more interested in making the sump either in acrylic or with a 10 gal tank.

Anyone has any links, info, etc. as to working with acrylic, tools needed, etc.?
Does HD cuts acrylic to specified measurements?

I've always been curious, what tool is used for making the Us on the overflows, etc.

TIA

The best way to cut acrylic is on a table saw using a 7 1/4" paneling blade. Make sure the teeth on the blade are in line with each other and not offset. Offset teeth will cause the acrylic to chip. Run the blade so that it comes through the acrylic about 1/8".

The best glue I have found for acrylic is Weld On #3 and #16. The #3 is very thin and your parts will have to fit perfectly to use it. The #16 is thicker and will fill gaps...needless to say, I use mostly the #16 :).

HD is too high on their acrylic...check your local glass shops. You should be able to buy a sheet of 1/4" for about $80. You might buy scraps of the right size for nearly nothing depending on how large a sump you wish to construct.
The best tool for making the U tubes on the overflow is your credit card. Seriously, I have tried to bend that stuff and have not had lots of luck with it. You can bend sheet acrylic with a heat gun, but you have to be really careful not to overheat it or it will bubble up. I just buy the U tubes though. You can bend PVC easily with heat, but I like the clear tubes better.
Logan J

Thank you Logan.

My apologies, when I was referring to the Us I meant the surface skimmer/strainer on the overflows.

:mrgreen:

Oh :oops: OK. That is called a weir. I use the table saw to make them. Just stand the piece of acrylic up against the miter guide and run it across the blade. Set the blade height to whatever depth you want the notches to be. I use the edge of the blade insert as a guide to keep the notches even. I suppose it could be done with a router also...I'm just too lazy to set the router table up to do it I guess.
Logan J

I just buy the U tubes though. You can bend PVC easily with heat, but I like the clear tubes better.

I looked for these U tubes and everyone wants $9 to $10 for these here.
I took the 1inch Riser tubes from UGF and heated and bent them. Works great.

Total cost for 2 of them was around $3.

I was thinking that I saw them recently in the Dr Foster catalog for lots less than that...like $3. Could have been a hallucination though :). How did you heat them? Mine just folded up. To get a good shape, as I'm sure you already knew, the top of the tube has to stretch while the bottom side of the bend has to compress. Mine looked like an aborted art project from the reform school kindergarten :lol: . Seriously, I'd like to know how you did yours so I can give it another try.
Logan J

Very Patiently w/ heat gun and wrapped around a Campbells soup can. You have to be as consistant as you can with the heat though, or it will do exactly what you say. :oops: Thinking about it, I made 2 of them. However, in hind sight, you may want to purchase them just for the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom