Pond blackout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have pea soup during the summer in my pond and it leaves with me about 12" visibility tops. I've been considering flocculants and I had a natural experiment this fall. I didn't remove the leaves for a long time and when I finally did my water was crystal clear.

This got me thinking- I could black out my pond with plastic vapor barrier film in the spring!

Has anyone done this before? Success? Utter failure?

I would look into barley or barely extract. They contain natural algae inhibitors. I used to get pea soup green algae every spring. Then one year I started using barley extract (can’t recall the brand) each week for about a month. Pond cleared up. Only treated one season.
Now I only have to deal with string algae (real nuisance).

As for shade, you could suspend shade cloth or similar material. Not a total blackout but more of a reduction of light and heat.

As for shade, you could suspend shade cloth or similar material. Not a total blackout but more of a reduction of light and heat.
It's under trees, so I'm not concerned about shade for heat, but it gets plenty enough sun to grow algae.

Back
Top Bottom