Puppy help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My family is getting a new puppy. Does anyone know of any cockapoo or cavapoo breeders in MD or DE? Also, any suggestions for a small to medium dog, good with small animals and children, quiet, and playful?
Thanks!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Just look for a cute Poodle mix pup from the local shelter. Designer pups are mixes and no telling how they will turn out.

Find a rescue that gives you good info and has clean, healthy dogs.

As a groomer, check grooming prices in your area. Most of those mixes will need grooming monthly.

Cavaliers , Poodles and Cockers all have health issues. Crossing them does NOT make that go away.

If you want to buy a puppy, make sure the breeder tests eyes, ears, hearts and whatever else should be tested for the breeds being crossed.

Ethical breeders of ANY dog test the parents.

My breed, Whippets, we test eyes, ears, heart, thyroid and Brucellosis.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a cavoodle (poodle / cavalier cross) pup. Very little hair loss - think that's the poodle side. Good with the kids.

Previously we had a cavalier / jack russell (we think) cross. Very smart dog.

I suggest you get a mixed breed from the pound! You will be saving a life plus who says mutts can't be adorable too? Also studies have found that mutts live exceptionally longer than pure bred and designer dogs. A dog you rescued will be eternally grateful that you saved it and it will love you until death. All my dogs are rescued and I can honestly say there's an extra special and strong bond between a rescue and the owner. Don't get hung up in looks and rescue an animal from being euthanized is all I can say. Some of the best dogs aren't the prettiest nor are they the most outgoing at first. As far as breeds go though you should check out the labs and retrievers as well as dachshunds and Bassett hounds. A mix with any of those breeds are usually extremely sweet and gentle and do well with other dogs and small pets!

NatureFish
????

Dachshunds? My grandma has two and they try to eat my guinea pigs. Anyways, we are looking at an adorable mix, she's German shepherd/Australian shepherd/collie/ and something else. Any tips on these breeds? The only thing she got from the german shepherd side is some of her coat- not the legs or attitude.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Congrats emerald !!! So what name have you come up with ?? I have 2 GSD's now, but have always had at least one most of my life. She's very cute. Good luck with her ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks! We aren't completely done yet, we are seeing more puppies tomorrow at 2 pm and a decision will be officially made! Stay tuned!

Edit-
Names haven't been considered much yet. I don't want a people name for her/him- the puppy above is already named Dancer but I think that's too prissy for her personality. She and all the others that the rescue got (9) were named after reindeer. Also what is your experience with GSD's? Are they hard to raise?
Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Thanks! We aren't completely done yet, we are seeing more puppies tomorrow at 2 pm and a decision will be officially made! Stay tuned!

Edit-
Names haven't been considered much yet. I don't want a people name for her/him- the puppy above is already named Dancer but I think that's too prissy for her personality. She and all the others that the rescue got (9) were named after reindeer. Also what is your experience with GSD's? Are they hard to raise?
Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

You're welcome !!??. It's good you're looking at others. Not always the first one will be "the one". I've been thru that a few times. The right one will pick you. ??.

As for names, they can learn a new one very quickly and easily. I've done that a few times also with ease. I've been around them for the better part of 30 years and can't get enough. They can be a bit stubborn at times but overall, they are fairly easy. My best advices to offer would be a few things. Make sure to spend as much time possible socializing them. Train with praise. It makes it that much better. Puppies will get into everything, so be sure to pick up EVERYTHING that he/she can get at and keeping them busy with a "job" helps them not get into things. Get them into a routine from an early age and it will benefit both.

I can't load anymore pics here but I've had them posted in some other threads. My male is an American breed and my female is a Czech import. Both of them are purebreds and rescues as were my three previous. Right now it's Simon and Kiwi who are both about 100 lbs.

Edit-
Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

They are very smart. They need plenty of exercise. They may become overly excited when they see other strange dogs, you can train that out of them.

We use a ball on a rope as a reward instead of food and play with a Chuckit for hard exercise.

Positive training. But untrained GSDs are destructive and can be overly territorial.

Make sure you are willing to take time to train and exercise and they are awesome dogs.

I was a GSD trainer for Pro Trainer/GSD kennel. He sells protection trained dogs to NBA players and coaches.
Some of the dogs I've helped train:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419138280.802974.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419138310.102516.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419138332.521666.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419138363.406226.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would stay away from cocker spaniels. My cousins had one and it was health issue after health issue. And my husbands uncle rescued a pair and agrees they tend to have issues.

Some breeders are awesome and check for things but others breed for desirable traits and don't care about the longevity of the breed/animals. I like mixes and shelter animals because often they have gone through hard times and you end up being their hero. They KNOW you saved them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I would stay away from cocker spaniels. My cousins had one and it was health issue after health issue. And my husbands uncle rescued a pair and agrees they tend to have issues.

Some breeders are awesome and check for things but others breed for desirable traits and don't care about the longevity of the breed/animals. I like mixes and shelter animals because often they have gone through hard times and you end up being their hero. They KNOW you saved them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1
Cockers tend to have LOTS of health issues. Even when they are healthy when adopted you are almost guaranteed an expensive vet bill later on down the road. Their issues include ear problems leading to eye problems etc. mixes are going to be the healthiest things ever because of their diverse genes. Plus you get to be their hero like Angela said.

NatureFish
????

Here's my new babies! The lighter male is sailor and the dark female is Willow!!
(Pic later sorry guys or won't work)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Here's my new babies! The lighter male is sailor and the dark female is Willow!!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Can't wait to see the pics !!! You'll make a great doggy mom !!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!! ???

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Did u get mixes or the cocker?

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom