Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have this snail in my tank, I'm not sure if it was from a plant I bought but that was about a month ago until I seen this little one, I recently picked a couple of dry leaves next to a river and put them in the tank, (would there had been eggs on the leaves)? a week or 2 later I saw this little feller in here, can anyone tell me what type of snail it is? He's pretty fast too.

Attachments

• 17135825596235182626060081354131.jpg
    17135825596235182626060081354131.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
It looks more like a bladder snail than a pond snail to me. The shell appears more "bladdery" than "pondy", it turns anticlockwise, and the antennas look more spindly, whereas as pond snail look more like Yoda ears.

Pest snails can begin to show up a few weeks after being accidently introduced, so it could have come in on the plant you bought.

It looks more like a bladder snail than a pond snail to me. The shell appears more "bladdery" than "pondy", it turns anticlockwise, and the antennas look more spindly, whereas as pond snail look more like Yoda ears.

Pest snails can begin to show up a few weeks after being accidently introduced, so it could have come in on the plant you bought.
So this little guy ok to keep? Do you know how big.he will get? And does this one breed on there own or needs, um a partner? Haha im sure I read it somewhere that some don't need, um a spouse.

Im not 100% sure its a bladder snail, but thats what it looks like to me.

They get maybe 10mm. They can self reproduce. If you have seen 1, there are likely more you havent seen yet. Its not something i would want to keep, but wont cause any harm. If you have 1 expect more, and once they start populating your tank they are difficult to get rid of. All you are doing then is controlling numbers. Id kill it, but thats me.

Im not 100% sure it's a bladder snail, but that's what it looks like to me.

They get maybe 10mm. They can self reproduce. If you have seen 1, there are likely more you haven't seen yet. Its not something i would want to keep, but wont cause any harm. If you have 1 expect more, and once they start populating your tank they are difficult to get rid of. All you are doing then is controlling numbers. Id kill it, but thats me.
Ok, thank you for the info. If I start to see more, then I take your advice. Again, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom