Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I work as a carpenters apprentice, can't complain with $11 an hour. 40 hour week gets me ~$330 a week. Have to set most aside for the winter, but the money that isn't set aside gets spent on my truck...2001 gas guzzler lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very cool. I work with some carpenters at a Nuclear power plant. I'm a permit for an Insulator Union.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Its definitely a great learning experience...just stinks though because now I see alot of faults everywhere lol

I just filled out a job application, for a lps, I doubt I will get it but I'm going to try

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its hard when you have no job experience what so ever

Depends. The place i work the owner is a family friend and from what i have heard you don't really full it applications if u work in the trades. Otherwise yes you would ask someone for an application and fill it out. If you at under 16 you have to get a workers permit, i got one from my high school.

brianna 13-half
texas
tank 1 ten gall betta
1 29 planting community tank
1 empty 29
1 55 with oscar

Just going to join this debate on jobs and career paths.

17, dropped out of final year of high school (it's a little different in Australia) to train more for ballet. I do 40 + hours a week 8am-6pm Monday- sat. Haven't had a job in a while, no time for it really. Really just trying to train to get into a professional school and then company. I some how manage to maintain my 3 tanks haha, even if only one of them is actually stocked at the moment

I finished high school but flopped college. Worked at good ole McDs for a while. Tried Denso and it didn't end well(didn't train me and threw me to the wolves). Tried a Toyota Toshuma warehouse. It was a good job till they layed me off 3 days later. I became unemployed for a while. Dad suggested joining the local Insulator Union, went for the interview and said all I needed was some experience work and I could join. Months later they found me a job site. I now work at Watts Bar Nuclear Power Plant. I put metal insulation on the generators, reactor coolant pumps, and tons of small piping. Sadly I have found this job just isn't for me. I'm keeping it till the job is over (when all the insulation is finally put on) but afterwards I plan on going back to school for mechanical instrumentation and getting hired back on here.

I did all these jobs with only a high school education. It's harder to find a job but it's not impossible.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm Turing 16 in 5 days, so I'll be old enough for the job, and ya I just filled out a job application that I printed from online.

I finished high school but flopped college. Worked at good ole McDs for a while. Tried Denso and it didn't end well(didn't train me and threw me to the wolves). Tried a Toyota Toshuma warehouse. It was a good job till they layed me off 3 days later. I became unemployed for a while. Dad suggested joining the local Insulator Union, went for the interview and said all I needed was some experience work and I could join. Months later they found me a job site. I now work at Watts Bar Nuclear Power Plant. I put metal insulation on the generators, reactor coolant pumps, and tons of small piping. Sadly I have found this job just isn't for me. I'm keeping it till the job is over (when all the insulation is finally put on) but afterwards I plan on going back to school for mechanical instrumentation and getting hired back on here.

I did all these jobs with only a high school education. It's harder to find a job but it's not impossible.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I understand what you mean there. I've worked at a pet store but left after arguing about ethical keeping and selling. I refused to sell certain fish to people with their set ups. My parents want me to get another job but with my workload not even a maccas will accept me....

I understand what you mean there. I've worked at a pet store but left after arguing about ethical keeping and selling. I refused to sell certain fish to people with their set ups. My parents want me to get another job but with my workload not even a maccas will accept me....

And that is why I couldn't work in the fish section.... Go look at the reviews on PetSmart. "Loving my new Oscar! Have 3 oscars, one JD, and one blood parrot in a 45 and they are doing great!" No lie that was a review in my area I about choked.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Been a while since I popped in but hey we're onto jobs so might as well!
I applied for Kroger Monday and got an interview tomorrow! Hope it goes well. With my new high tech tank Ima need more funds, and also I want to help my parents a little with a car.
On a side note: my LFS has an amazing deal on a nice tank. The first one is a brand spankin new 125 gallon with glass top and perfect stand for $745. If I get that job I may just have to put aside a buck or two and see if I can't convince my parents that oscars actually have a personality unlike my current fish.
They've also got a new 75 with stand and top but idk how much it is.

And that is why I couldn't work in the fish section.... Go look at the reviews on PetSmart. "Loving my new Oscar! Have 3 oscars, one JD, and one blood parrot in a 45 and they are doing great!" No lie that was a review in my area I about choked.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I know what you mean but I don't think that should be why we leave the store. They will always get someone else to sell for them, every once in a while you might actually convince someone and save a fish. All I mean is it doesn't hurt to stay even if not everyone listens.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yep I don't think I could do it again. It'd be very selective if I did haha

Been a while since I popped in but hey we're onto jobs so might as well!
I applied for Kroger Monday and got an interview tomorrow! Hope it goes well. With my new high tech tank Ima need more funds, and also I want to help my parents a little with a car.
On a side note: my LFS has an amazing deal on a nice tank. The first one is a brand spankin new 125 gallon with glass top and perfect stand for $745. If I get that job I may just have to put aside a buck or two and see if I can't convince my parents that oscars actually have a personality unlike my current fish.
They've also got a new 75 with stand and top but idk how much it is.

Good luck with the interview!

Get either one of the tanks, forget the oscars and get discus! They'll love them, may even be able to set it up as a display in the living room or kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom