update with my cancer battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey guys,
i'm back not 100% yet but atleast i'm back , i stopped my treatment about 1/2 way in
i lost all feeling in my left side had no use of my leg or arm , i'm slowly getting feeling back in my leg , still nothing in my arm , i missed this place thanks for your prayers they helped , for a while i'll be lerking in the back ground , my daughter took on my tanks she was a fast learner , things are in no way perfect but atleast everything is still alive , looking forward to see what everyones been up to

john

img_3035725_0_3b489b46c7e75eec3fe4deb1f8cb04f5.png

Hey man! Good to see you're feeling better! That was a scary post before..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

John - Glad to hear from you. I cannot begin to relate to what you are going through. Fingers and toes crossed that things will improve for you. Happy to hear you daughter is able to assist in the aquatic endeavors.
Here is a short video (<1 min) featuring Beethoven and bubbles. Lots of bubbles. Soothing. If you'd rather have something a little more upbeat, let me know. Enjoy: http://youtu.be/KcapSKJPmWA

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Glad you are feeling better!

Stay strong! I don't know you personally (I'm not a saltie, I haven't ventured that far into the hobby) but my heart goes out to you all the same.

Hi,
I am glad you are getting movement back. And that you are here to keep us in line :flowers:!

You have been heavy on my heart each day. I mentioned to someone who was going through a bout with cancer and told him how you beat it back numerous times and what a fighter you are! Also about my previous boss who had stage 4 and has been doing well for almost 5 years so far!

As for your tank and your daughter taking on the challenge, you have a bunch going on in the fish and coral world over there. What a blessing your daughter is.

Not perfect, other than the way you do it, but good for the tanks :D.

Glad you are back and lurking...I have been missing your posts: direct comments, joking and encouragement. :fish2:

thanks autumn ,
was i gone that long your a mod now congrates
just taking it one day at a time not used to just one arm to type yet
most likely going back on kemo pill since radiation messed me up so bad
i so want to be able to do my own water change

thanks autumn ,
was i gone that long your a mod now congrates
just taking it one day at a time not used to just one arm to type yet
most likely going back on kemo pill since radiation messed me up so bad
i so want to be able to do my own water change

Watching the fish and others things like coral are nice but it is the "doing" stuff with the tanks, it is the process of creating, and keeping the stuff. My husband always says I work too hard on my "hobby", but I think it is the working on it which is the part which is therapeutic, so at least get back in there to the "keeping" part, and help out with what you can.

When I was a kid we had a family friend, Lillian, who had had a stroke in her late 30's early 40's and she needlepointed me a pillow, and that's hard enough to do with 2 hands, and made dinner and canned stuff and really did everything -with just one hand. Everything just took a little longer. It will take some time to get used to typing with one hand, and everything just remember will be a little more work for you. Just keep that in mind when you start getting stressed about things you can't do as well or as fast as you used to. Just keep healing. You are a determined person. The guy I had been talking with fighting cancer said to tell you to stay strong and keep fighting.

Yes, thank you, I am a noob mod now, :lol: I was doing my training for a little bit. Then they announced it when Brian and I were finished with basic training. So poof! Like magic it happened! You were't really gone THAT long, but too long.

went to the doctor yesterday he looked at my leg and arm to see if there was any improvement, i regained about 75% of my strength in my leg thats about all it will recover , as for my arm i still have no feeling or movement from my elbow down , he said it is very doubtful it will recover ,
he did put me back on the kemo pills since i refused to finish out radiation ,
after what it already done to me im not crazy enough to try radiation again ,
the cancer that remains on my tongue has spread down to my throat , its only a matter of time before i loose my speech ,
i try to keep up hope but its really not easy , i try to be cheerful not think about it but that really dont help anymore ,
im scared to death ,
now on top of all of this i find out my wife may have cancer ,
i cant handle the thought of her going through what i have .
i love my wife and wish there was a way i could just ex-orb the cancer from her,
i sometimes think if i still could just drive my jeep over the edge things would be better, but i know i couldnt leave my family that way they are the only thing that keeps me going,
i know be strong wake up out of this bad dream , but only if i could

just a quick update

sometime next week i will start a new chemo pill , it just came out and is still considered a trial ,
as with my left arm and hand , i will never have use of it again , i lost all feeling from my elbow down to my hand , the radiation therapy i had hit a major nerve causing me to loose the use of my arm and hand , i haven't taken it well but i still try to be my old self not letting me become depressed , i try not to let it take over my true feelings or my passion , i stay as active as i can so i dont think about things

Best of luck with the trial, stay strong and keep fighting the good fight:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From your posts here to people's threads, you sound better. Nice with a touch of ornery. :lol:

Watch lots of comedies, do things that make you laugh and helping others here and being active does help keep you focused on others and laughing stimulates things in your body to reduce depression and cause feeling of contentment and of course happiness.

That sucks big time about losing the use and feeling in your arm, and hand.

I hope you have a really good time looking at coral this weekend while I am working. :rolleyes:

That seems very fun and exciting to pick out some awesome little gems that you get to see in person. Like a kid in a candy store :lol:

You'll surely report back all sorts of wonders on the other thread. Have an amazing time!!!

You have mentioned something about your wife and cancer. Did you get any further info for that?

Still praying for you and your family and thinking about you everyday, your struggle and your strength. Carpe Diem my friend. Also sometimes we get hung up on one thing (say cancer) and miss out on living the life you have now. It seems like you are doing well there. Loving and caring for those who mean the most to us, and caring for others whom God loves. To be able to rise to and above the situation. Strength and purpose to you, :thanks: for sharing and being an encouragement to others who may be having problems.

From your posts here to people's threads, you sound better. Nice with a touch of ornery. :lol:

Watch lots of comedies, do things that make you laugh and helping others here and being active does help keep you focused on others and laughing stimulates things in your body to reduce depression and cause feeling of contentment and of course happiness.

That sucks big time about losing the use and feeling in your arm, and hand.

I hope you have a really good time looking at coral this weekend while I am working. :rolleyes:

That seems very fun and exciting to pick out some awesome little gems that you get to see in person. Like a kid in a candy store :lol:

You'll surely report back all sorts of wonders on the other thread. Have an amazing time!!!

You have mentioned something about your wife and cancer. Did you get any further info for that?

Still praying for you and your family and thinking about you everyday, your struggle and your strength. Carpe Diem my friend. Also sometimes we get hung up on one thing (say cancer) and miss out on living the life you have now. It seems like you are doing well there. Loving and caring for those who mean the most to us, and caring for others whom God loves. To be able to rise to and above the situation. Strength and purpose to you, :thanks: for sharing and being an encouragement to others who may be having problems.

she had a colonoscopy it came back negative so that was good
now there leaning towards breast cancer she has a mammogram sometime this week hope that comes back negative too
her blood work shows something but they havent pin pointed it yet
i think she's more stressed than me , and i have had more bombs drop on me than i can count , she knows if i can stay strong she can too , i just dont want her to go through anything i have ,it's not walk in the park
guess time will tell ,feels like a slow motion soap opera and i hate soaps

hope i can find some nice stuff tomorrow just cant bring to much cash as i would spend it all lol
i can say this though my wife has become obsessed with nems for some odd reason
but who am i to complain :D

thanks again autumn

john

Glad to hear things came back ok on her colonoscopy and hopefully the new chemo will work.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, I don't really know you but from what you've posted here you are truly inspirational!

Stay strong, I'll be praying for you and your wife.

Everything is going to work out. Stay strong and stick the landing. Keeping yourself busy is a good idea. The human body is stronger than you may think. Have faith!

Best wishes,
Kat

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom