Dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Guy at LFS said dwarf cichlids could be considered a community fish. Anyone have practical experience with dwarf cichlids? Wife saw some regular cichlids and oscars at lunch and wanted some of those... I told her the oscars were in a tank by themselves for a reason... :roll:

We did see a planted display tank that had a nice assortment of dwarf cichlids with other fish in it. I keep angels, neon and red tetras, plecos, and a couple cats in the tank I want to add the dwarf cichlids to. Anyone see a problem adding them?

Which dwarfs did you have in mind? I mean there are a number, I have the plain kribs, then there are the Apistos and a whole host of others?

I really don't know. It will depend on what's available at the LFS. I'll have to see what varieties they have. I did some research on dwarf cichlids yesterday and saw some that I'd love to have. Will look at the names. From what I read, the dwarf variety is just as aggressive as the full size.

In other words, the pretty ones.. :)

Yup they are aggressive, but it depends on the tank mates and how many you have. My dwarfs are very peaceful as they are in a tank with larger fish that would tell them exactly which bus to get off. :wink:

I plan on adding a couple to a 55g with a bunch of tetras and some angels. tetras are sort of small, and I plan on getting a large angel with a few smaller ones. Hopefully it will be aggressive and it will give me an excuse to buy a new tank... :twisted:

Good thinking and reasoning on the new tank.
I kept my kribs with my Angels and there were no problems, but like I said it does depend on the type of dwarf you get. Some just won't take to the new mates and vica-versa.

Good luck and keep us posted. :D

I reviewed the page I found which had a plethera of dwarf cichlids and took notes this time. The list contains those that I would buy with the astericks signifying the ones that I want. Now if only the LFS would cooperate and have these in stock when I go...

Dwarf cics
Apistogramma agassizii "Alenquer"
Apistogramma atahualpa "Llanchama"
Apistogramma bitaeniata
Apistogramma bitaeniata "Manacapuru" *********
Apistogramma borelli "Paraguay" ********
Apistogramma cacatuoides "Double red" *******
Apistogramma sp. aff. juruensis "Rio Nanay" *****

You can get them from Liveaqauria.com. I have heard some rave revues regarding their shipping and handling of fish, as well as how they catch their fish.

as well as how they catch their fish.

?? I would have thought that most of the fish at the lfs were bred? I'd think it would be much cheaper.

Thanks for the tip on the Liveaquaria site. I think I saw it earlier in the week. I'll check them out.

There are some small cichlids that are considered community fish.
German rams and bolivian rams are spoesd to be calm( i just got my bolivians 2day :D :twisted: )
Keyhole cichlids are small and docile, and although there colours aren't as magnificant as rams, i rekon they are just as good. :mrgreen:
I heard that apistogrammas are hard to keep and aggressive?
You can even keep bigger cichlids while there small and docile.
my bro has a 4 cm jack dempsey in his tank with platies danios and corys.
well thats all i can rite coz i gtg to work soon
cya
justin
(i got the soundtrack to Queen of the damned, itz soo good :wink: )

When I was at the lfs the other day I noticed some of the tanks had captured from the wild or something similar on them. First I have seen that written on the tanks. Here I thought the fish at the lfs were bred in captivity.

Back
Top Bottom