Help with coral ID and care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shorty2545

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can somebody please tell me exactly what kind of coral this is so I can try to save it? I got it about a month ago and it is losing its color. I think it's bleaching out because of too much light.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394989691.975833.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394989691.975833.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 114
Looks like something from the montipora family. But with most SPS corals, the problem is more often not enough light rather than too much.

What lights are you running and how far from the light is the frag

That's a pavona species. Did you light acclimate it? What lighting? Parameters? It appears to be brown, so not enough light or something is out of whack

Yes. Light acclimated over 2 weeks. Fluval marine led's. All parameters good, but I did have a nitrate spike last week that I have been working on with water changes

I'm new with corals. Started out FOWLR. It started at the bottom of tank and moved it up over 2 weeks. Now at top of rock structure about 8" below lights. Top of tank is open, so no loss if light to filtration. I'm gone during the week, so wife maintains tank till I get home. Last week I tested and the nitrates had shot up to 200 ppm. They are now down to about 20.

20 is better than 200 but still to high for sps. Plus those lights aren't strong enough. I'd do a big water chAnge to get nitrates down and see if it gets some color back. I wouldn't expect any growth though

Sirously???? I spent $400 on these lights at my lfs advise when I decided to go reef now I find out it's not enough?

Those lights are fine for softies and lps but sps need higher lighting. Hence why it's brown

I did a little more research based on what you came up with and jogging my memory. I now recall that this is a mint pavona. Supposedly it is a newer species that requires low to medium light. One site that I checked said as little as 5 w. Does that sound right at all?

No it is a moderate-high light sps coral that needs a good amount of flow. In low light it browns. I've never seen it kept under lower lighting, needing good par to keep the green coloration and allow it to grow

Hmm I did a little more reading and ora does claim it is a separate pavona species that can live in lower lighting. I just don't think those lights are strong enough, they only house like .06 watt leds right?

Idk. Here is what I can find...

The Fluval Sea Full Spectrum Marine & Reef LED Aquarium Light provides a balanced combination of multiple LEDs for optimal photosynthetic activity, coral growth and accurate viewing. Six unique LED aquarium light wavelengths (including 400, 420, 440 and 460nm) create outstanding blue coverage with 25,000 K color temperature. The result is healthier, stronger coral in your reef tank.

Does that tell you anything?

From my research I saw that they should be covered with little "hairs". It never has had any. Even when it's color was still green and I first brought it home

Hmm no and I can't find anything online. That scares me a bit. Get your nitrates down and if the color starts coming back then maybe the lights would be ok but if not then. They're not strong enough

Ok. Thanks for your help. I'm working on the nitrates. I think they came from adding more live rock. The guy at the lfs said it would be ok to cycle it in the tank with the corals. Guess he didn't know as much as he thought.

One last question. Should I keep the pavona high in the tank to get max light, or move it lower?

Sorry about so many questions. I'm a noob to sw. Just started a year ago and just began with corals last month. It's a long learning curve. I've done a lot of research, but it never seems to be enough.

No it's no problem at all! That's the point of this forum. Yeah I wouldn't listen to that guy anymore, corals need a completely cycled tank, especially sps. I'd keep it high until it gets it's color back and then see if it keeps color.

Back
Top Bottom