Water temp ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airborne 82nd

Aquarium Advice Activist
One Oscar and one L 022. I've kept my tank at 78.6f. now my cold tap water has gone up to 84.2f. Is this to much of a change when doing a 50% wc? When finished tank temp goes to 81f. Not much of a change but I don't know how much is to much. Heater does shut off when filling.

I wouldn't do 50% changes with that much difference. Do smaller amounts ( 20%-25%) more frequently so that the change is not that drastic. (y)

I wouldn't do 50% changes with that much difference. Do smaller amounts ( 20%-25%) more frequently so that the change is not that drastic. (y)
Thanks Andy I was thinking of upping the heater set point. Just how much of a temp change would be safe? Before the ground got so hot I could get it within around 1.0f. This is the first time my tap water has ever been this high. I use to have to add hot water to the mix to match the tank. Plus I don't want Oscar to get to hot.
Again Thanks

Thanks Andy I was thinking of upping the heater set point. Just how much of a temp change would be safe? Before the ground got so hot I could get it within around 1.0f. This is the first time my tap water has ever been this high. I use to have to add hot water to the mix to match the tank. Plus I don't want Oscar to get to hot.
Again Thanks
Usually, a temperature change of much more than 3 or 4 degrees colder is enough to get fish sick. The good news is that you are going in the opposite direction so the stress level shouldn't be too bad. The problem is this: warmer water holds less oxygen so if you add water that is too hot, it can stress the fish from lack of oxygen. You also have to consider that the pleco does not do well in higher temps so even if it is only temporary while the water mixes, the warmer water could cause the fish to go into shock. Again, this is why it's not recommended to do large volume water changes when there are such drastic differences between the new water and the tank water. While it's summertime and your water temp is higher, I would definitely increase the aeration in the tank to get more oxygen into the water and do smaller water changes more frequently. I would not change your heater at all. All that will happen is that it won't be heating until the temp goes down. In nature, water temps rise and fall daily so fish are used to some changes but they take evasive actions to best fit their needs. Unfortunately in a fish tank, there is no place to hide until things become to their liking.
What you can also do is pre prepare water in a separate container ( like a plastic trash can) and not use it until the temp lowers to closer to tank temp. Aerating that water can help lower it's temp as well. (y)

Back
Top Bottom