Weird tigerbarb behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vineheart01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gal tank with a redtailed shark, 6 otos, 4 Congos, and 9 tigerbarbs

All of them are active and healthy looking, but one tigerbarb barely moves and is often away from the rest.

To me he "looks" fine other than he's noticably smaller than the rest. I isolated him in a glass jar for the time being.
I haven't seen him eat either and he almost didn't even swim away when I went to catch him.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Tank is 79F and 7ph

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a 75 gal tank with a redtailed shark, 6 otos, 4 Congos, and 9 tigerbarbs

All of them are active and healthy looking, but one tigerbarb barely moves and is often away from the rest.

To me he "looks" fine other than he's noticably smaller than the rest. I isolated him in a glass jar for the time being.
I haven't seen him eat either and he almost didn't even swim away when I went to catch him.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Tank is 79F and 7ph
For starters the fish is misshaped which means it may have other genetic issues you have no control over. His staying away from the other fish is an indication that the fish is not healthy. It may be internal worms since the fish isn't eating or it may be an internal infection. To be honest, I don't have high hopes for a successful outcome and it will cost way more to try different medications in the hopes that one works than it would be to replace the fish with a healthy one. If you can keep this one in a larger container and it starts to feed, you have a chance that it will survive. Otherwise, I would suggest euthanizing it as it needs food to survive.

Noted. I figured there was setting wrong but I didn't expect a deformation.
I will just euthanize him
Tiger Barbs have long been farmed fish and unfortunately, not every farm culls out fish that are deformed so you the hobbyist may get one like this where there is little hope for it before you ever got it. :( In the future, you want to be careful on what fish your local shop nets out for you or if you get fish sent to you, make sure they all have the right body shape before adding them to your collection. ( You should also be quarantining any new fish before adding them to your main tank so that you can make sure they are healthy and behaving " normally. (y)

Yeah, tis a shame.
Fortunately they're just a 4dollar fish. Congo going would annoy me as that one was 16 bucks lol.

I thought one of my otos died but 2 weeks after I introduced them suddenly I saw them all

Back
Top Bottom