Went to a fish store to get gravel for my cycle...this is what I got.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to one of my LFS to get some gravel for my aquarium to get it jump started in its cycle. The guy was confused when I just asked for some gravel from the fish tank..for my aquariums biological cycle. He however agreed to grab me some. He bagged and boxed it. Handed it to me. Told me it was free and I left. I got home and this is what I got...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467162126.198941.jpg

A big bag of gunk lol. Tasty.... Anyways being that this is just water and murk. I was just going to chuck it...I guess me saying "I need gravel from one of your tanks" was just to confusing for the guy...anyone have any other idea to do with this?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol it was the manager...that gave it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He scraped the filter pads. This is way better than gravel. If you don't have fish just dump it in.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think so, I saw him with a gravel vac and starting a siphon...

Same difference. Do you have fish in your tank? If not just dump it in. If you have fish I'd add it over the course of several hours a little at a time. Like add some, let it clear and ready, then add more until it's gone.

Edit: This delicious "murk" and "gunk" is what you ACTUALLY are benefiting from when you get gravel. It's just a carrier.

lol, ok. How much do you think it will speed up my fishless cycle? It's 7 days with no sign of life :/

Not sure, just dump the whole thing in and watch it. There isn't a whole lot of bb in the gravel unless it's an under gravel filter, but this gunk should coat your filter pads where it will start growing readily.

7 days is very early in a cycle from scratch. There are folks on here who sell seeded media which will vastly decrease your cycling time.

He gave you what you actually need. A small amount into your tank or better yet your filter would do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom