what pleco should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bussardnr

Aquarium Advice Activist
i want to get a fancy pleco for my 75 gallon. right now i have a rubberlipped. what would be a good one that doesnt get to big. i saw a gold nugget at the store that only gets 6in, would that be ok in a tank with alot of bottom dwellers?
thank you

What do you want your pleco to do? Many plecos have a nearly exclusively carnivorous diet, and most of the panaques require a lot of bogwood to gnaw on, so size is not your only factor here.

i want it to look cool, eating alge isnt that important right not. i have some drift wood in the tank so thats not a problem

i have an L200 (yellow spotted green pleco) and it's looks great in the tank, it grows to about a max of 6-7 inches and it is not shy which is awesome, unlike my clown pleco who's cool, but I rarely see him out.

I love my gold nugget!! I heard a saying once about plecos. "The more expensive they are, the more they seem to hide in the tank." I dont know if it is true because the gold nugget is my first pleco, but he was around $30 and he likes to hide a good bit. I'd hate to see what happens with all the ones up toward $100 and more 8O

I recommend 1 or 2 albino bristle nose plecos. I currently have 3 youngsters in my tank right now, and they are hillarious to watch sometimes. They "sneak" along the gravel in my tank and "attack" the veggie wafers I drop in the tank. They also are cute to watch while eating cucumbers and lettuce. They only get 4-5 inches so i'd say go with 2 and you'd be fine or you could try and get a sexed pair (females have very few bristles on thier nose) and try and breed them on the side. From what I've heard they are fairly easy to breed, which is what i'm planning on doing when they get older.

My clown pleco was only about $10. He's really small and cute, but I don't see him too much. He's been coming out more often lately though.:mrgreen: The other two I don't know about.

The queens will run you in the vicinity of 30-50, and the snowballs you can pick up a juvinile for around 30 as well. I paid 5.99 for some clown plecos at one lfs, and another store was selling them for 10.99. The clowns like to hide alot. The albino bristle noses are workhorses and mine are out or in view 24/7. Another option you might want to check into is the albino "longfin" bristlenose plecos. The length of thier fins/tails is really interesting. You might have to order these online as the 10 or so lfs around me never seem to carry them.
HTH
-Stewie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom