When is a Corydora NOT a Corydora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy Sager

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oliver Lucanus, renown author, wildlife photographer, Ichthyologist, tropical fish importer/ exporter/ wholesaler, world traveler, ( I think you get the gist) of the company Below Water has just posted a new video explaining that the plethora of what were called Corydora catfish have been separated into 7 new ( old actually) genera and many of the Corydoras we commonly keep are no longer considered Corydoras. ( There are only 32 species of Corydora now and the majority of them we don't have. The list is in the comments section of the video. ) Here's a link to the video:
Time to start getting used to not calling every "Corydora" catfish a Corydora. ;)
I highly recommend subscribing to his youtube channel to see remarkable videos of the fish we keep in their natural habitats. I had the pleasure of meeting Oliver at a get together when I visited another fish enthusiast/ author and breeder friend, with my friend Bruce, at his house in Montreal Canada in 2019. 1720136488808.png From my left to right is our host Gary Elson, Hans Georg Evers ( former editor of Amazonas Magazine), Oliver Lucanus, Bruce Brande ( my buddy with over 50 years of fish keeping and fish business experience), David Banks ( Tropical Fish Club of Burlington, Vermont) and the goofy guy in front is me ( crouching so I don't block out Oliver. ) That's over 300 years of fish keeping experience in this picture. :D I only wish I had recorded all the stories that were told that night. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom