Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried 55 gallon ones from resellers and they stank to high heaven. I even tried soaking some bleach water to remove the smell and couldn’t ever get it clean.

Hmmm, they say they are sanitized, lol, maybe that doesn't fix the smell.

Well there is an individual selling their water storage 2 for 50 and a pump. I wonder if they got theirs "used".

One said it was a UN water storage container.

Will need to think about it and maybe check it out.

Thanks for the heads up will avoid the pickle and molasses and other smelly stuff I can't even imagine!

Hahaha, someone should try it...... (cough)!

That will probably need to happen in a different lifetime! Thusly will admire others triumphs.

Well a few life struggles and additional things are using up even more of the fun tank time.

It is squeezing into a bit of a stressor, thinking on how much I would like to do with the tanks and then not really being able to actually alot time for the fun plans and crazy and great ideas.

***Alert, if you already have a headache - just skip the below struggle to yet again, get these tanks whittled down. Fair warning ;)

There is a wee amount of thinking on doing the 46G bowfront (presently a temporary SW tank) into a nano and small fish tank.

Trying to figure out more simplicity, if one can take some additional complicated things changing into one thing more simple?!?

Thinking out loud (you know, in a written manner)

4 tanks
72G Mixed community (still looking for a giant sized bowfront for an upgrade)

46G nano small/non aggressive mixed community with a group of Neo shrimp

80G SW Lagoon

Maybe the reboot of the PRL tank /Shrimp tank not sure of which size. I have found a local breeder of PRL shrimp and will need to go up and see what the quality/prices are available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just can't seem to want to reduce enough.

2 Bettas, the Plakat vibrant orange and blue, and the Thai HM pastel orange and blue will need to be community fish, the Plakat in the 72G and the HM in with the nano tank fish if he can get along.

One possibility would be to rehome my pair of Odessa Barbs (they would eat the Chili Rasboras), and add the nano fish to the 72G.

Wine glass tank dilemma... I am thinking of keeping it it grows so easily. It is a Betta with a few fancy male Guppies still and the Ghostie Whisker shrimp, and the 6 or 7 Pygmy Cories.

After mulling this over, I am again questioning the 80G as a SW lagoon tank.

Trying to think which brings joy, not just interest. I can always work on something interesting in the future. Since my available time is dwindling, joy makes more sense.

Beautiful 72G

Shrimp tank...

Nano fish and shrimp

Side note
Very tickled to have a nice group of Certified N class Lavender Endlers growing up right now. About 10 new babies
4 previous babies 1 male - now young nearly adults
1 momma

It has been awhile since posting here. I had a loss of most of my N-Class babies, and the older momma, I have one young female left, hoping she was impregnated from the male which was in there. She really doesn't look that great. That hope probably needs to be shut down. Could be one hiding but I have looked a bunch of times and didn't see anything else. This tank will likely get shut down and put away for awhile.

The other really sad thing was my Ghost Cray died, suddenly without any illness I could see - happy one night and the next day looking great. Then dead.

We did a bleed out from propane gas tank and it was near the back area (outside of course, but the door was left open and the gas smell was awful. Door was closed when discovered, and an hour later the guy was dead.

The snails and fish in the other tanks were just fine all the shrimp were okay in the tank next to it. Smnails in that tank breeding every day and they were fine too. I really do not know if it could have a death effect and the others things were not bothered. The cray didn't look like it was trying to molt. Just sitting in the position on the DW and dead.

That happened over a week ago and I really, really liked him. Just couldn't talk about it, and worked on other projects to take my mind off it. It was a stab in the heart.

I made a cacti garden, added to my house plants and out door garden, and made a terrarium.

Keeping busy trying to decide on which shrimp to buy every time I think I have it decided something comes up to change my decision.

PRL shrimp were out of stock when I intended to get them, now still until July. Local supplier hasn't called me back about stock quality or price. It is a guy who I know about but didn't have his number and my friend was giving him my number.

Then I started looking at other breeders shrimp and found a few I like. Blue Bolt, Red bolt needs more work in developing the colors but the orange ones are pretty. Hong Kong Tiger Shrimp looks like Black Line Tigers. Starlight Shrimp. Mosura Pintos. Shadow Panda. Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp (I think I know of an importer/breeder)

Some shrimp from other countries are far advanced in color, shape, size and quality compared to what you normally get in the USA.

Thinking of getting Golden Bee shrimp though. They were sort of a bit orange undertone ones, I saw at the lfs a number of months back, might have been called sunsets or something.

So many options and I am not positive how many tanks I want for shrimp vs. fish.

So they are smart Ninjas!

This is a carnivorous plant I got a couple weeks ago Serracenia Judith Hindle
60074-albums14653-picture72195.jpg

60074-albums14653-picture72194.jpg

I would like a Sarracenia purpurea (Purple Pitcher Plant). But this summer is too busy to worry about that for now... Already thinking for the next season and also I would like a small green house :whistle: I am making some pre planning figuring to see about a "sunroom" garden room. For plants, and an indoor small "pond". It has an odd configuration under the deck, but as they say - "Where there is a will, there is a way." So maybe. I'd rather have the sun room than the green house, as the one could kind of be both.

Looking good! Was there a tree down back of your place with another pond there? Maybe an indoor green house around tree?

Well there is a walk way which runs under the far corner of the deck (deck rectangle and walkway curved). Nipping off a bit of space in the corner.

And yes there is tree off to the side but next to the fence ~3 feet away and building not allowed that close to the property line. (next to the mysterious corner of the yard) The other complication is that there may be an addition to the deck to wrap around the house upstairs and carport on that other side. Could do the green house off the side of that. That might be a 2 year out project. Though the deck carport plan requires permits and plans, so if the plans were set maybe build the green house in the pre-planned location ahead of time. Maybe. And not sooner than next summer.

In tearing up the 12G Edge for the redo, I found a newer baby!!!

60074-albums14787-picture72233.jpg

So thinking through the tanks and what I have vs. my wants vs. space allocation and SW vs. FW.......

My big 80G Innovative Marine tank, although made specifically for SW will be used as a FW for my bigger fish (Clown Loaches and Congo Tetras)

The 72G bowfront will become a nano fish with adult shrimp tank.

For now 46G bowfront SW

12G Edge
PRL shrimp likely

12G Mr. Aqua

Wine Glass
Will likely be retired in the future as a fish tank, updated to be a plant terrarium type build. The swaying tower, which looks like a sky rise during an earthquake, makes my nerves quiver.

Alternate #6
6.6G Betta cube or 5G Spec V

5 tanks seems to be a hard number for me lol. Will try to add in the Plakat Betta's to tanks. The female in the wine glass is fine with other fish. The male I will be attempting to add some friends and see how he does to get him ready.

The OHM Thai Betta has long fins and I doubt will be able to be in a large tank, but, maybe.

Last edited:
I really want to get the 2 shrimp tanks going.

Yesterday I found a source for some very special Pure Red Line shrimp.

And Bloody Mary shrimp.

And after the 3rd week of this month the Golden Bee Shrimp will be available, haven't seen the quality and have had to email question for price, but so excited to be getting this plan moving.

Honestly have been a tiny tank keeping depressed without the Dwarf shrimp tank.

Figuring the PRL which are REALLY expensive compared to what I am normally used to spending require overnight shipping another costly extra. But if I can get all these shrimp from one seller, at one time might get a few extra shrimp thrown in.

The redo of the 12G Edge tank was exhausting today. Fish are in holding for a little bit waiting for the water to clear up some and the temp to normalize.

Just threw everything back in moss and rock and DW - pretty much plopped down.

After thinking about moving things around I might need to change the tank for the current nano fish to the 5G Spec V because it would be a nightmare to try and catch those little fish all over again...in the Edge tank.

The Thai Plakat Betta Picasso is getting a tank change I think.

And found the used to be a 1.5" baby and now 3.5ish inches Spotted Raphael Catfish in there when I moved out a bunch of moss. Found him hiding in the rocks, which is pretty much what they do unless the lights are out.

Better go check the pH.

Whew, got the 2 groups acclimated and in their new homes.

There were 2 new fish - the very young and the junior age Dwarf Pencilfish. Very excited that they decided to create a couple babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom