Favorite Shrimp Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gkuzel said:
I love that link btw. =)

If you're talking about the one in my sig...thanks! Please tell anyone with cycling questions to check it out.

If you're not talking about my link... sorry I sound stupid, lol.

Shadowraven said:
Well I certainly didn't expect that I could keep that many to start out. 30-40? Really?

That's what I've been hearing too... apparently they have virtually 0 bioload. I'm just worried they'll take over my tank and I don't know what to do with them.

No eco, I was talking about the one in your sig. I work at petco, you mind if I print it, and staple it to customers fore-heads? =p

The guy I'm getting mine from on Wed said he's got over 150 in a shrimp only tank...I don't know now big a tank though.

gkuzel said:
No eco, I was talking about the one in your sig. I work at petco, you mind if I print it, and staple it to customers fore-heads? =p

Just start by stapling it to your managers. I feel bad for you seeing that stuff every day. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Sorry to go OT, but I also have it published in the articles section of the site. If you want to send any of your responsible customers to it... the article would be easier for them to find than the thread.

Will do! and yes, believe me, my managers could used quite an education in aquatics. Most of them don't know squat about it. =X

True but some fish won't go for them, by selectively breeding the shrimp to increase red coloring we sent an unintentional message to predators, after all in nature what physical signs portray poison? Bright coloration reds and yellows mostly, many predators will take clear ghost shrimp and leave rcs alone because they see that red coloration an instinctively "know" that's not good to eat, even if it really is, my betta annihilated any ghost shrimp I put in the tank, but he won't even go near the much smaller an more noticeable rcs

I find this interesting..I have noticed in my tanks most fish are much more likely to go after the colorful shrimp.

My crystal red shrimp are my favorites. They are just gorgeous. I want to get some of the black variant as well. Of course not what you want to use for possible snack, but you did ask what's our favorite ;) You might have better luck with larger shrimp like bamboo, with the rams. A 55 could support a small colony..they would hang out together and probably be more visible and interesting than dwarf shrimp.

What about the micro crabs..maybe you should do those instead/also :rainbowafro:

Will do! and yes, believe me, my managers could used quite an education in aquatics. Most of them don't know squat about it. =X

I must stray off topic for a quick second...my cashier at petco the other day brought up her 1 gallon tank. I said wow, 1 gallon, all I would put in there is maybe a couple shrimp. She says, she keeps danios in there.

I weep for her danios :( lol

That could be full-grown. After all, they don't get over an inch.

@siva, bamboo shrimp are cool, but they are filter feeders. I'd be afraid that they weren't getting enough to eat. Especially since the filter on the tank will "polish" the water.

Amano are larger, but tend to be a little touchy. RCS seem to be hardy and easy to keep. If they have young it would be nice to have some survive, but my fish would probably consider the others live food. I will be providing them with plenty of places to hide for molting and "defense against the dark fish".
36852-albums1597-picture10897.png

I'm starting to see why people are recommending 30, lol. Since you have them, are they a good enough clean up crew without having to add Corys, Otos or Pleco's?

That could be full-grown. After all, they don't get over an inch.

@siva, bamboo shrimp are cool, but they are filter feeders. I'd be afraid that they weren't getting enough to eat. Especially since the filter on the tank will "polish" the water.

Amano are larger, but tend to be a little touchy. RCS seem to be hardy and easy to keep. If they have young it would be nice to have some survive, but my fish would probably consider the others live food. I will be providing them with plenty of places to hide for molting and "defense against the dark fish".;)

That's my concern with them in smaller tanks but anything 29 and up should be able to support a few. But then again I don't know squat about polished water lol. If they do end up being something you want, what you can do is keep handy a pipette and liquid fry food. Because of their fan like hands, they aren't designed to forage for food along the substrate, so if you see them picking at the ground this is your sign they are unable to filter enough food..then just shoot some of the liquid fry food at them and they will be able to filter out the particles ;)

Hey Shadow, I don't know where you live, but I'm meeting a guy on Wed who breeds them. I don't have a QT yet, so I need a reputable source. Severum mama only had Amano shrimp. I can get pricing and shipping info if you want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom