What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Craziness.... TMRC, it sounds like you've got a nice thing goin. Kudos to you, brother.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Resource geologist. Only physics needed is that a large hammer is better than a small hammer for breaking rocks (and that they really do mean plane baggage limits apply to everyone). Also chemistry can be completely by-passed safe in the knowledge that the rock not cracked open yesterday, will still be there tomorrow unchanged. Some maths is involved but no-body can agree on the best way to apply it. :)

Started in open pits, worked underground, did consulting and now mostly sit at a computer interpreting/estimating data with the occasional field trip. Like the job a lot.

I own a firearms company and possess a class three federal firearms license. My company sells locally and online along with performing transfers for weapons being shipped from other states to current residents . I specialize in sales and service of black rifles but will sell and service all weapons as long as they go bang...

I own a firearms company and possess a class three federal firearms license. My company sells locally and online along with performing transfers for weapons being shipped from other states to current residents . I specialize in sales and service of black rifles but will sell and service all weapons as long as they go bang...

Pretty sweet man!
I work for a builder of high end homes but we're currently rehabbing an old building in medfield ma. center.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1444831503489.jpg
    1444831503489.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 23
Veterinary Technician for 14 years. I work at a fairly large clinic that is family owned for approximately 70 years. I don't just pet puppies and kittens all day(unfortunately)though. Best job ever!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I admire you for being able to do that job. I think I'd spend all day in tears feeling bad for sick or neglected animals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I appreciate that! Many people really don't know how important our job is.

Gotta have a thick skin that's for sure!

I have done rescue for a long time. In my house the cats and dogs are mostly disabled or suffer from some illness. I think my family has put the vet's older through college. It's hard enough to see the animals condition on the outside and their sometimes damaged little personalities.

I have done rescue for a long time. In my house the cats and dogs are mostly disabled or suffer from some illness. I think my family has put the vet's older through college. It's hard enough to see the animals condition on the outside and their sometimes damaged little personalities.

But as you know under good care they bounce back. Dogs and cats are definitely more resilient than people.

Same here. The plant has a siren that can be heard from any where in town for such emergencies. I've lived here 13 years and have never heard them use it outside of tests. The tests are cool though, they're done every Saturday at exactly 12:00 noon. My dogs would howl for 10-20 minutes every Saturday when the siren started. Good alarm clock...

https://youtu.be/jpF088pGgKU (not my video)

Jesse

Is this place near Knoxville, TN? There's land owned by TN or feds I forget which and is very secure and my brother's fiance manages the land as in horticulture/forestry type stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heard DAT! After posting I realized there are actually TWO supermax prisons within an hour drive, one holding the surviving D.C. Sniper

Jesse

Timothy McVey the Oklahoma City bomber who bombed the building with the daycare etc ( i could have city name mixed up) was held at the fed pen in my state and executed there. It's quite strange because Terre Haute is an armpit but there is a top private engineering school there full of millionaires kids. The dorms have maid service. My brother went to school there for two years on scholarship so I got to see first hand. An hour away we have what would be a super max except they no longer do executions there. Ok last story, the neighboring city Michigan City has a prison and my friends husband was a guard there. He and another guard got shanked pretty bad. Her husband lost his eye. Our jails and prisons are pretty notorious. I live right near Gary the sometimes murder capital of the country.

I'll join in

I'm an animal control officer in the District of Columbia. Love my job but it's mentally and physically exhausting, and emotionally draining. Compassion fatigue is not fun, but I can't imagine doing anything else. I have some pics on my phone that people here wouldn't even begin to believe, instead I'll post some good ones!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445533450.153722.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445533564.894948.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445533739.331603.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445533779.004830.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this place near Knoxville, TN? There's land owned by TN or feds I forget which and is very secure and my brother's fiance manages the land as in horticulture/forestry type stuff.

Might be thinking of Oak Ridge National Laboratory(ORNL)... It's not far from Knoxville.

Place is locked down tight. Some say there's hidden missiles under that land incase an attack were to occur.

Caleb

An hour northeast of Knoxville.

Might be thinking of Oak Ridge National Laboratory(ORNL)... It's not far from Knoxville.

Place is locked down tight. Some say there's hidden missiles under that land incase an attack were to occur.

Caleb

This is prob what you're thinking of Brenn. ORNL is a weird, secretive place. They done a lot of work with plutonium and uranium for nuclear war type things up until after WW2. Its a science and technology place for the Department of Energy these days, home of some of the world's most powerful supercomputers including 2nd ranked Titan. I don't doubt one bit there's military stuff stowed there to this day..

Jesse

I'll join in

I'm an animal control officer in the District of Columbia. Love my job but it's mentally and physically exhausting, and emotionally draining. Compassion fatigue is not fun, but I can't imagine doing anything else. I have some pics on my phone that people here wouldn't even begin to believe, instead I'll post some good ones!View attachment 279568View attachment 279569View attachment 279570View attachment 279571

Nice boa! That's about max size for a boa and they can be a handful at 42 inches. Looks to be a Columbian boa, doesn't have the characteristics of a true red tail. I had a nice blue eyed Columbian that neared 60" when I sold him. I had a Burmese hit almost 80 inches, we had him in a 6 foot high by 6 foot long by 3 foot deep walk in cage. Sold him to the zoo in '09, I saw him in 2011 at nearly 12 foot, holy cow. Last I knew he was being moved to a Florida zoo.

I'll join in

I'm an animal control officer in the District of Columbia. Love my job but it's mentally and physically exhausting, and emotionally draining. Compassion fatigue is not fun, but I can't imagine doing anything else. I have some pics on my phone that people here wouldn't even begin to believe, instead I'll post some good ones!View attachment 279568View attachment 279569View attachment 279570View attachment 279571

Awwww, look at you all dressed, lil kitty made a friend for life:) you're welcome in the fish/cat cave anytime! That boa... i wish wish I could rock a python again.. live feedings are totally out though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll join in

I completely understand compassion fatigue. As I said before I have been a Veterinary Technician for 14 years. I deal with a lot of death and dieing also. Also as you just posted I believe you need to remember all the animals that received forever homes and the ones you saved.

Back
Top Bottom