Live Oscar food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airborne 82nd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to start growing my own crickets. But I would also like to try some worms but I'm not sure what worms would be best for optimum nutrition they need . Butter worms sound good to me I like butter on everything.:yum: These would be a treat maybe once a week

I used to harvest Night crawlers for my adult Oscars from the back yard and leaf piles but since yours are not adults yet, I'd go with red wigglers or fishing worms from the local Bait & Tackle store. These are also something you can grow yourself. If those are too big, you can feed blackworms if you can find live ones. ( They replaced the old Tubifex worms.)
Here's another bug that is easy to grow and that I fed my Oscars: Mealworms. Tho not a true worm, they are an insect larvae and very nutritious ( more so than butterworms because they have chiton) . I raised mine in a cheap 10 gallon tank ( now they come in plastic) with a few layers of newspaper and oatmeal along with a potato cut in half.. These worms grew into non flying beetles and reproduced like crazy so I always had a constant supply. What I did was have 2 tanks going at the same time. 1 was for the worms to grow and breed and the other was for feeding worms. Once a week I'd go through the breeder tank and take out some of the larvae and put them in the feeding tank so I wasn't constantly bothering the breeders leaving a few of the larger larvae in the breeder tank to grow and reproduce. When the potato was finished or the newspaper was too mushy, I'd replace the whole setup with new paper and oatmeal and potato and put the beetles back in. VERY simple. (y)
One final note on mealworms, there are now a number of different varieties of mealworms on the market so just make sure that the ones you get turn into non flying beetles or else you'll need a lid for the tanks. . (y)

Thanks I will go with the red wigglers for now They have nice bugs and worms at my local Mom & Pop bait shop. I'll grow them in my compost bin. Just was not sure about the nutrition

Thanks I will go with the red wigglers for now They have nice bugs and worms at my local Mom & Pop bait shop. I'll grow them in my compost bin. Just was not sure about the nutrition
What goes in, comes out. Crap in, crap out. Good food in, good food out. (y) It's all going to depend on what you are composting. (y)

Back
Top Bottom