Torch vs long tentacle plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaim

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, what’s the aggressiveness difference between a torch and long tentacle plate coral? And how much space should be left between them and other corals?

I have a 6” diameter heliofungia that hangs out on the sand bed, so its extension is fairly predictable and doesn’t vary much. Once yours is happy, the extension is pretty much WYSIWYG, and dont think you’ll have any aggression issues. Torches on the other hand, can send fairly long sweepers out. I’d plan on giving several inches just in case, and observe from there. Torches are aggressive and will do damage to other corals.

Bottom right corner in the back, its kinda retracted, but even when it’s extended I’ve had no issues and it’s within 2-3” of that greenfrogspawn colony.

Attachments

• IMG_8040.jpeg
    IMG_8040.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 5
They do have the ability to shimmy on the sand, as a heads up, which is where they should live anyways. I’ve never seen any sweepers, so as long as your other corals aren’t touching it, I’d assume you’ll be fine (famous last words). Torches throw sweepers, in contrast, and likely won’t be sand sweepers like the plate.

Edit: won’t be sand dwellers like the plate

I have seen both opinions, I’ve seen some stores say that they don’t have a sting further then their polyps and I’ve seen some say they are as aggressive as the torches.

So still unsure about their true nature. So thanks for sharing you experiences.

Does anyone else here also keep the long tentacle plate coral and have similar experiences?

Their true nature is that since they are mobile, as Flaxon-Waxon said, everything that is on the bottom, where plates belong, is in danger of being killed by them. This is why when you have them, it's best to have decor/ rock work that rises above the bottom where you can safely place non mobile species. As for the other species that have sweeper tentacles, you'd be surprised just how long those really can get. It might be say, 3" when you first introduce them to the tank but once they get settled, could be 5" or maybe longer. So again, anything that has sweepers should be placed in an area not close to other corals until you see how far the sweeper tentacles are after they've settled into their new environment. Once you see them extended, add a few inches to the distance away from your other corals.
One of the best methods of mixing many types of corals together is to make several levels in your rock work so that when a coral sends out a sweeper, it doesn't find anything next to or close to it. It only finds rock. (y) One of the things with corals is that overcrowding a tank is not a good thing unless you have multiple pieces of a similar species. Similar species tend to be immune to the stings of each other. This is where fish tanks are different from reef tanks. With fish, variety is the better method. With corals, you have to be more careful what you mix. That all said, If I remember correctly, you are working a very small tank so it's not in your reef's best interest to have ANY coral that has sweepers or is mobile so neither of these 2 species is a good mix in your tank IMO .

Thanks for your reply! Correct I’m not thinking about any corals which have sweeper tentacles in my 5 gallon tank, it’s just too small. I’m upgrading to a 20 gallon in the near future, I know that’s still a small tank but it’s much larger than a 5 gallon. I would like to get one of those for my 20. Being the fact that plate corals can move, I think it’s much smarter to get a touch and just try to protect the other corals my placing rock barrier between them
Thanks again 😃

Thanks for your reply! Correct I’m not thinking about any corals which have sweeper tentacles in my 5 gallon tank, it’s just too small. I’m upgrading to a 20 gallon in the near future, I know that’s still a small tank but it’s much larger than a 5 gallon. I would like to get one of those for my 20. Being the fact that plate corals can move, I think it’s much smarter to get a touch and just try to protect the other corals my placing rock barrier between them
Thanks again 😃
A 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high? There is a 6" difference in floor space between them so the 20 long would be better if you intend on either of the 2 species. (y)

I got the innovative marine AIO long Nuevo fusion 20 gallon. It’s 24Lx15Wx13H
Yes, and I was planning on placing the torch on one of the sides of the tank

I got the innovative marine AIO long Nuevo fusion 20 gallon. It’s 24Lx15Wx13H
Yes, and I was planning on placing the torch on one of the sides of the tank
That's not a 20 long. A standard 20 long is 30" L x 12" high x"12 wide. Definitely put up that rock wall to keep your other corals safe ( but make sure you get good water circulation to that area) . (y)

Back
Top Bottom